It’s that time of year when feverish preparations begin – the Examination Fever. Many young students are receiving ready for the biggest test of these academic lives, one that may determine their range of career and how their futures will shape up. The 10th standard examinations or Board Examinations follow many patterns in line with the syllabi and the academic councils the schools are affiliated to. Getting high marks and percentages overall in all subjects is key to enhancing likelihood of an excellent education in a reputed institution; therefore students should take extra steps in equipping themselves well in the preparations for exam study.
Students only at that level have six to seven subjects with allocation of marks and grades combined for a topic grouping. Mathematics and Science take predominance over other subjects like Social Studies, English or Other Languages waec answers. This is because for some technical courses post school and getting admitted into college depend on excellent percentages in both of these subjects. While subjects like English depend on the student’s excellent uptake of grammar and presentation of answers in a neat format with the relevant points concisely written, Mathematics and Science depend largely on accuracy in answers and results.
Some examination strategies for High School
• By understanding the format of exams corresponding to the syllabus undertaken, a student can work out a study schedule according to subjects that require more attention and time. Having a timetable based subject-wise and topic-wise will greatly benefit your study schedule; remember to complete the schedule as per the timetable you have prepared
• Discussing previous question paper samples and guides helps obtain an insight into the kind of questions that can be expected and prepare a mental plan on the best way to answer the questions
• Resorting to malpractices or depending entirely on memorizing content can be disastrous. In case of exam panic or perhaps a wrong move, the mind switches into a freeze making thinking and recollection difficult. It is much better to know content, rephrase questions on what best to create out the answers and keep doing the tasks over and over to master the technique and analyze and correct mistakes, especially in problem solving
• One of the best ways to retain content the student has read is to create down points or make brief notes that will help to remember key points to organize the flow of content
• When in doubt, seek help. Parents, teachers, friends, guides are always around to simply help clear doubts. Published guides help but where they fail is the kind of one on one interaction that you could have with peers and superiors
• Learn to apply time management which will be very essential in answering question papers. Practicing writing speeds can help improve answering skills when time is of utmost importance
Besides these academic tips, there are numerous other places that the student needs to remember when preparing for Board exams.
i. Pick a study area without distractions and ambient noises from traffic, TV screens, computers and other gadgets that can be a disturbance or intrusion. Conversations with friends can be on a occasions when you have a break from studying
ii. Getting proper nutrition, exercise and sleep recharges the human body and fills it with energy resources which are very essential. Skipping meals and sleeping less will tire the human body and mind and give you exhausted by the time examinations arrive
iii. Avoid places and situations that may cause anger and negative emotions to surface. The unnecessary anxiety and worry will not help by any means
iv. Always take constant breaks from study to re-energize the mind and body. Cramming mental performance with a lot of information or a lot of facts in a quick span of time is not a good idea. Take time off to indulge in a well liked hobby like playing music, painting or photography; choosing a quick walk and meeting friends for a sit down elsewhere is recommended provided this doesn’t cut into your daily study schedule and you have the ability to get back to study mode again